Saturday, December 31, 2005

Pins and the road trip for Christmas

Saturday the 24th at 1:00 AM I was finally going to bed. Estimated time for departure being 7 AM on the 24th. At 1 AM I had finally finished sewing the last of the lap quilt for my brother. I was beat...completely exhausted and totally not finished with Christmas presents....

We were only off schedule by an hour or so and fortunately traffic was not bad going up 95 to Maryland. I had plenty of time to cut the threads off of both quilts, bead and finish the pins for my daughter and mother and sister, and take a nap.

Taking a nap is the best way to make the trip go by faster. I'm not one of those people who can read and be in a moving car, I get horribly car sick if I do. I have been able to sew, cut threads and crochet for short durations at a time.

So I sing in the car and when everyone has enjoyed as much of that as they can stand, I take a nap...preferably a long one.

I must admit that the Durango has proven to be much more sleep friendly than the Saturn and Sunbird were. The seat reclines further back and there is plenty of leg room for the teenage boys in the back (middle) seat. The back of the truck was full of luggage and presents, some of which were even wrapped (bless the heart of Gloria for that!!).

It's a good thing Doug can use the mirrors or we'd be in deep pooh. Usually there is only a small hole to see out back of when we head up north for the holiday hoedown.

Last year we traveled on Christmas Day and there was hardly any traffic at all (of course there were no food places open either). Christmas Eve proved to be very light traffic wise so we were pleasantly surprised when the trip was shorter than normal AND we were able to be fed too...lol...

Here are 4 of the finished pins. Forgot to get a picture of my mom and sister's pins. I'm keeping the 3rd pin and wore it over Christmas...will probably gift the 1st one and the 2nd one went to my daughter, Brandy for Christmas and the 4th to my friend Jadene.

No comments: