Friday, April 28, 2006

More Gardening

Imagine my surprise when I came across these little beauties after cutting up bushes and pulling weeds! The little yellow iris are so pretty and delicate looking compared to the larger white ones that were blooming a couple of weeks ago. These are much smaller in height and in petal size.





More columbine from seeds of mom's plants. These were hiding amonst the overgrown foliage and weeds I haven't yet removed.

This plant has grown since the last pictures I took...Wilbur still occasionally digs at the hole next to this plant.


Another view of the dismembered bush.

These are smaller low growing gardenia bushes.

Fern coming back up.

I planted peony bulbs the first year we were here in 1999. This is the largest that I have seen this peony and it has never bloomed but the foliage is pretty.

Stella d'oro lilies.

Pennyroyal mint growing by the back fence. I had it in my flower beds at one time as a ground cover but it mostly grew up and leggy and I transplanted it out back instead.

Daisy getting ready to bloom.

Creeping groundcover I got from my mom. It gets really pink in the sun and stays more white and green in the shade. Hopefully one of these days it will finally take off.

One of two of my Abelia plants. This one has had a very hard time. I had it in front of the composter but it kept getting stepped on until it was only a small twig left. Now after transplanting it into the middle of the garden it's coming into it's own finally. Bee balm is coming in around it.


The jasmine that was just buds last week is finally blooming and the scent especially in the evening will take your breath away.

I think this bush is a Nandina. For the first 5 years we lived here the thing was only about 8" tall. It wasn't until I brought in the topsoil and compost and built the garden around it that it finally started to grow and grow it has, it's about 3' tall now!!

I just love the two tones of green in this hosta. It seems to grow much slower than the green and white ones do but I'm hopeful that somewhere down the line it will be large enough to seperate and share with my family members who garden.














This is the first crepe myrtle that seeded itself in our backyard. It may actually be a shoot from the plant next door as opposed to seed starting as it took off right away and shot up within 2 years time. I cut the top out of it and tied the trunks together this year so it will be less bushy.














A view of the side flower garden which is filling in all over the place.
Jasmine growing and blooming up the side of the deck.





Wild strawberry plants with strawberries on them.




























And the purple plant that gets monstrously tall and gets little white flowers on it...and spreads like a weed..Another of those plants I have a 'righteous plenty' of.













I planted this azalea 3 years ago. It has salmony-pink flowers that smell heavenly but it hasn't bloomed since the first year...guess I need to fertilize it or something.












The purple groundcover I can't remember it's name...reminds me of lavendar lantana.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your variety of plants and their pictures is stunning! your garden is a work-in-progress of blooms that will be a marvelous sanctuary soon. Thanks for posting the pictures!