Friday, April 28, 2006

Gardening

I've been out gardening this week. It's been quite pleasant, warm but with a breeze. Received a little sunburn on my shoulders but that's okay.

These are about 1/2 of the tubers that I dug up out of the flower bed where some kind of weed/tree kept trying to grow...hopefully I've gotten it all but I won't hold breath.



















In the backyard I weeded and trimmed branches out of one of the bushes and on the wisteria plant (which I still have to finish). Wilbur has made a nest under the wisteria but he was inside when I took out the camera. I transplanted some black-eyed susans and a purple plant that grows like a weed and gets fairly tall by summers end.

Michael was quite helpful and collected all the branches and weeds and threw them into the pile out back for me. That is a distinct advantage of having boys...they don't seem to mind hauling all the yard waste around and enjoy lighting it on fire even more but we will wait for Dad to be home before we do that!
My friend, Sharon, gave me this rose bush a few years ago. It was small but has grown so much since then and is a prolific bloomer. Looks like it needs to be strapped up. Maybe I can get Doug to fix my trellis for it.

































Wilbur and Charlotte (courtesy of Wilbur) have their own entrance to the underside of the deck...where they have dug (again courtesy of Wilbur) a large hole that is full of water...what is it about dogs and muddy water and drinking it anyway?? YUCKY














The lemon verbena is filling out...I have a 'righteous plenty' of it as my friend Rachel W would say....as well as the bee balm.


The name of this bush escapes me but in the spring it was full of pink blossoms..it has to be trimmed back to keep it out of the way of the gate and I thin out the center branches that are crossing over one another too as well as the dead wood. It looks pretty naked but will be every bit as full again next spring.













This cactus plant was dug up out of the flower bed...Charlotte kept getting into it and breaking out all over her belly so it now resides in the planter box.












One of my little crepe myrtle trees, violets, lambs ears & iris.













The side bed has greened up well in the last few weeks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kim, your yard is lovely. I do so envy all the sun you must get. Most of my plants are shady characters.