Saturday, June 03, 2006

Wildlife at Mom's house...and I don't mean kids


Here are some pictures of the wildlife around my Mom & Dad's house.





Several pairs of nesting robins were about the place.

One of the nests is in one of the river birches in front of the house. These are the same trees that Dad pruned a few year ago (with my assistance) and Mom still liked to have had a coronary over...they do look better no matter what she says.








Funny, their house was built on a cornfield so 20 years ago there were no trees to speak of (at least none that offered more that a quarter sized amount of shade), now there are plenty of large trees and all sorts of nesters there.

The bird bath out back was a constant source of activity with assorted birds in it. The pair of finches with his red were a very striking pair.













One of my moms plants has a praying mantis sack attached to it...really cool huh?












My grandmother was a bit of gardener and had this outrageous green thumb especially for indoor plants. My grandfather was the one who could grow the vegetables and the most gorgeous roses ever. Mom got the rose gene and has managed to uproot and move many a rose bush in her time. I have always enjoyed gardening but have neglected it in the last year or so and my house plants have declined since quilting has taken over as my primary hobby.

Another reason I enjoy this camera (Kodak's Z740) is that I can sneak up on wildlife and never be seen as in the picture of mom's garden visitor.He's a pretty guy and fullgrown.













Dad shows Kylie the little nest in Meemaw's hanging fuschia basket...the next morning it was filled with 4 little wren eggs.


I never could get a picture of the nest with momma bird in it but did see her eye to eye a couple of times.







Ladybugs on the millions of roses bush.













Robin on the pond.












I almost forgot to mention that the Blue Angels were practicing and then performing for the Naval Academy's Graduation Exercises. Here is a picture of one of them...see the white line...lol...that was the best I could do...they hold still for no one!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

marvelous wildlife shots!! and grandchildren are beautiful, too. Good job!