Saturday, February 11, 2006

Valentine Project Update

Been working on the valentine picture for Doug...was getting real frustrated waiting for the gesso to dry i might add...I've included the original pictures that I was using...at least the ones of Doug and myself...



















these are the really cool tyvek leaves that I painted in Lumiere halo blue-gold, pearlescent emerald, pearl turquoise and halo violet-gold and then heated with the iron. They are truly too fun for words to do!! They were attached with beeswax to the tree. My mixed media collage on the other hand has been a war with the devil!!













Gesso didn't want to dry so I took the dryer to it...cardstock started to curl (yet again) but that mostly got worked out...beeswax was really interesting to work with and I really liked it. I guess my project was still too big 8-1/2 x 5-1/2"...it was more manageable this time and does look better (to me anyway)...

the tree still came out too dark, so I painted it halo violet-gold to lighten it up...I've used the halo blue-gold, pearlescent emerald and pearl turquoise in the background too. I also mixed some utee with green angel hair, pink scrim and polysparkle and kaleidoscope transparent embossing powders in the background.











The LOVE stamp didn't turn out as well as I would have liked but I had heated up the beeswax as much as I could stand too and decided to leave it this way instead...I also used red paint on the tree for the 'kim loves doug'.
















Both pictures of Doug and myself were coated in Diamond Glaze last night and left to dry. I really love how they turned out...very glossy and cool. They really stand out against the natural beeswax over the rest of the picture. I may add a note to the front too...we'll see...

I coated the back with the beeswax as well. It was fun and I went in an entirely different direction with the picture than I had originally planned but I think I like it better this way...I just wish the stupid deer would have come out better...at least one of them anyway!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the beeyooutiful valentine - turned out great!! and if you want deer, I'll gladly send you some of mine.
BettyAnn

Maureen said...

Kim
If you hadn't joined "bloggers who embellsih" I'd never have found your Blog!
I love the way your collage/pic for Doug is developing....I'm picking up so many tips.....don't you just LOVE Lumiere pearlescent and halo paints!
Maureen in Qld